Hello to all,
Thirteen years in Alaska and I have never seen a Halloween with no snow on the ground. When she came in for fill in shift yesterday, Jenny said, "If I wanted this kind of weather, I'd move back to Portland." The rain we didn't get in June and July has definitely caught up with us. It sure creates a bigger demand for soup! Holiday season is upon us already...look for Squirrel treats and nibbles at some of the local craft shows and events and let us know how we can help make your Thanksgiving extra special, easy and delicious! Don't forget we are OPEN ON TUESDAYS this winter!
Second Saturday Art Opening
Well, November's art show will be whatever it will be. Some combination of sketches and drawings by some combination of Chris Bowman and Jon Mann. Entitled "Kind of Sketchy" it's sure to be, well, whatever it will be! Come check it out during November - and visit the artists (Bowman via skype I believe) at the opening reception on Saturday, November 9, 3-5pm. December we will welcome a new artist and new-comer to the Talkeetna area, Leah Kilmer, who will hang original paintings.
Cooking Class - Holiday Baking
Sunday, November 17, 1-4pm
This class in the Flying Squirrel kitchen will focus on tips and techniques for making beautiful, delicious and stress-free holiday treats from scratch. Rolled, drop, and refrigerator cookies, pie crusts and fillings, holiday spices and fruits, and holiday yeast breads will be discussed. Help to make, bake, eat and take home pumpkin-pecan-praline pie, mini pannetones, and some fancy cookies. To register for this class (it's already 1/2 full!), please contact Alaska Folk School at 907-733-7111 or by going to this link.
Thanksgiving Orders: Turkeys & Pies & Croutons oh my...
It's that time of year already! We'll be dreaming up some fancy and delectable desserts for your Thanksgiving table. Look for another e-mail this month as well as posters around town with our holiday offerings including my mother's most delicious cranberry sauce, several varieties of pie and cheesecake as well as fresh dinner rolls. The order deadline will be November 23 with pick up on November 27. I foresee Brian's Talkeetna Grown Sweet Mama Squash in some pies! We have unseasoned croutons available now to stash for your whole grain stuffing and often we run out before Thanksgiving, so you might want to pick up a bag or two next time you stop in. Finally, we will order fresh free range turkeys through New Sagaya again this year - ORDER DEADLINE OF NOVEMBER 15!
Everyone Loves a Bargain, Discount, Bonus or Deal!
• Espresso Drink Punch Card - Early Risers get the bonus! Buy any drink made on the espresso machine BEFORE 10AM and remind us to punch your card. Buy 9 and get a 12 oz free! Most days, the Squirrel is OPEN AT 7:30am.
• Bread Card - Buy 12 breads, get a $5 value toward the next one. We keep them on file and throw them away after a year of no use, so come get some bread!
• Prepay Credit - Pre-purchase $50 or more and get a 5% bonus ($2.50 on $50, etc.). We keep a credit for you in our file box. Advantages for you: you don't have to wait as long to be rung up; you can come in without your wallet; other discounts still apply; plus as my mother would say: I didn't find $2.50 in the street today!
• To Go Packaging Discount - 5% off if you bring your own travel mug, or bread bag, or soup container...
• Mike Fisher Non-Motorized Discount - 5% off if you arrive at the Squirrel by non-motorized means!
Regular and Holiday Hours
Our regular winter hours will apply for all of November, except we will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, November 28 and we will open later than usual on Friday, November 29, at 10am.
FRIDAY: 7:30am-9pm (Pizza Night: 4-9pm)
SATURDAY: 7:30am-9pm (Pizza Night: 4-9pm)
Coming Up in December
• Mail Order Holiday Goodies! - Actually you can do this any time at our online store! Send some Squirrel love to your loved ones including ruggelach, birch nut granola, assorted cookies, dog treats, t-shirts and gift certificates. Soon to be added: kale chips, seeded barley crackers, and Squirrel stickers.
• Gingerbread House Workshops - This year's two part gingerbread house class will be held on Sundays, December 8 & 15. Save the dates and watch for posters, sign up and more information to come. You can already get your name on the list since a limited number of houses will be available. Call or ask at the counter to reserve a spot for this fun annual family event!
• Taste of Talkeetna - Word on the street is that this annual tour of Talkeetna restaurants sponsored by the Talkeetna Chamber of Commerce will be held on Saturday evening, December 14.
• Christmas Holiday - Great news! We plan to do our usual Christmas holiday order, then after being closed for a couple of days, we'll be open weekends at the end of December! Hopefully returning college students and visiting family members will be able to get their Squirrel fill before the end of the year.
Hope everyone stays warm and dry out there!
Continue reading »